Greetings!

On 8/1/06, Philippe Wittenbergh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Whatever the rationale for using a <p>, what is the idea behind using
{display:table} ??

Valid question. See earlier response WRT using <p> vs <ul>.

As for display: table, this is a minimized version of some
markup/style I was fashioning to work in IE6/7, FF1.5, Safari2.x,
Opera8.5/9 and so on. The table display arose out of all that and led
to me noticing this behavior in Opera ... and so it goes.

... because I'm not sure this is strictly a bug.

Totally agreed. Hence my question mark in the subject. ;)

An element with display:table shrink-wraps the width, just as a real table
would do.
And Opera is known to be more aggressive in this than some other browsers.

Aye. But if each item/link has a minimum width, wouldn't that count
for something? Put another way, if I had a table row with min-width
cells, would it wrap to two rows?

I know, this "table" issue is bizarre to begin with.

Add to that, your 'table' element only contains *width-less* floated
elements. That may complicate the computation of width.

True, but I use min-width throughout. Wouldn't min-width make the
overall width calculation a no-brainer? (Forgetting IE treating width
as min-width for the moment.)

FWIW, I do use width: auto, but I found I could remove it and get the
same result, minimizing the test case further. I tried to come up with
the least amount of style to instigate the symptoms.

And on the side, you won't need to clear those floated elements as
{display:table} establishes a new block formatting context and
contains the floated blocks any way.

True. That note was actually based on IE (which won't use display:
table but an entirely different approach, and still needed to clear
the float). I didn't need to mention it in the context of this
particular issue.

Ahh, fun with minimal test cases!

--
Joe D'Andrea