In reverse order...

Andrew Ingram wrote:

Wouldn't just styling the "a" tag by itself achieve the same effect? In fact, I can't really see any reasons to use the :link class at all. Is there something bad about not using the :link psuedo-class?

Just using "a" also affects any anchors you may have, such as

<a name="section1">Section 1</a>

Using a:link just targets proper <a href="..."> ones.

As far as I know, link and visited are mutually exclusive, and I quite often see people do things like "a:link, a:visited {}", but i'm having difficulty understanding why people doing it this way.

Not necessarily mutually exclusive. In theory, you can also do a:link:visited - so not completely mutually exclusive. I can't be bothered testing, but I think that a:visited would also affect named anchors as above which have been visited.

Hope this makes some kind of sense,

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/