    }

    img.posB {
      float : right;
      margin : 0 0 5px 15px;
    }

    img.posC {
      margin : 5px auto;
}

The class refers to a position (pos) or primary class function, this is unlikely to change. The only change would be the position's definition. That would be written in an open-ended fashion using A, B, C.

I'd go with something along those lines, yes, or even more generically (if you foresee that at some point you may not want all images on the same position, but differentiate them some other way - e.g. one has a blue border, the other a red border, etc) having classnames like type1, type2, type3 (as that doesn't imply position).

Sure, it can be taken to an extreme in these cases. I'm flying the highly idealistic flag here, but reality and pragmatism obviously prevail in day to day work.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com