Thanks Paul,

A great read of the options for multi column lists.
You have helped another activist and cat lover trying to give up using Tables.

Thanks

Tim

On 26/10/2006, at 7:34 PM, Paul Novitski wrote:

At 10/26/2006 01:44 AM, Sarah Peeke (XERT) wrote:
Basically I need to show a list of links in two columns, alphabetical
vertically (one column will not suffice as the list is too long).

I've seen a number of options for styling a list in two columns (or
more) using line-height and a negative margin, but they either don't
render well across a number of browsers, or rely on pixels etc.

The methods I describe in this article use ems for positioning, not pixels:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/multicolumnlists/
My favorite method is the last (#6). Have you found that it doesn't survive cross-browser? I'd be interested in your findings.

The other option is to use two separate lists (part a and part b) - but
I imagine that this won't be as accessible.

eg

<h2>Sub Heading</h2>

<ul class="parta">      <ul class="partb">
</ul>                   </ul>

It doesn't seem inaccessible to me, it's just not true to the actual content which is one list, not two.

I don't think DLs or tables are appropriate here. Does anyone disagree?

Not I.

How could a DL help you here? You mean by putting half the list in one or more DTs and the other half in one or more DDs? Unless the first half of the list defines the second half in some way, using a DL would be inappropriate.

Splitting the list in two with any markup purely for the sake of presentation seems inappropriate to me (of course, I'm not facing your deadline!). I still think your best bet is working for better cross-browser styling of a single unordered list.

Regards,
Paul

The Editor
Heretic Press