Nick Fitzsimons wrote:
On 14 Nov 2006, at 07:13:48, Paul Novitski wrote:

I'm leaning toward the opinion that Photoshop is not a good tool in web design ... Fonts are anti-aliased

At one design studio where I worked I went round to all the designers showing them how to turn off Photoshop's font anti-aliasing. They complained that it didn't look as good; I pointed out that that's what it would look like in the browser (at least on Windows without ClearType, which is still pretty much the default), so if they expected me to implement their designs, the original designs had to look as bad as they would in a browser.

Do most people have ClearType turned off, though?

My team has two designers - my colleague uses Illustrator simply because it's extremely convenient in its system of layers and general object-based attitude. I use PhotoShop for the simple reason that it is pixel-based and as such everything _except_ text can be made to appear identical to my sketches. With vector programs you're dealing with a conceptual world that will have to be completely re-defined for the purposes of appearance.

I would say that unless you're using it as a photo editor, PhotoShop is expressly for non-print design.

The text problem is immense for any question of typography - you can have your beautiful type design on any application fall apart completely because the colour (typographic sense) ends up lighter - at which point you have to compensate by modifying line-feed, size and colour and generally all your reference from the design suite end up useless. I am infuriated that there is this stupid distinction of none; crisp; smooth and strong. There is a huge gap between 'none' and 'crisp' (crisp generally being very heavily anti-aliased) - why can't we have a slider?

_And_ turning anti-aliasing off still leaves PhotoShop with its relatively intelligent kerning systems. To be honest, IE (or even bloody Word until the latest edition) without clear-type is absolutely unbearable with smaller font sizes. If you live and design for that world, expect spaces in the middle of words, characters with no division between them, and all manner of horrors. You may as well ignore typographical issues. How ironic that Arial, supposedly designed for reading off screens, renders worst of all.

Regards,
Barney