On 27 Nov 2006, at 14:22:12, Tom Livingston wrote:

On 11/27/06 9:14 AM, "Nick Fitzsimons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Afraid not, the HTML element can only have lang and dir attributes:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#edef-HTML>

Regards,

Nick.
-- Nick Fitzsimons
http://www.nickfitz.co.uk/

OK. So. Can I still use the different body IDs to send different bg images
to the HTML element or is that somehow flawed?

Afraid not, as it isn't possible in CSS for the presence of something to affect the styling of an ancestor or (putting it the other way around) for something to be styled differently based on its descendants; so you can't do things like the XPath expression:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]'a']]

which selects an "html" element that has a child "body" element that has an "id" attribute with value"a".

I once read an explanation of why CSS selectors can't do this, but I can't find it now.

Regards,

Nick.
--
Nick Fitzsimons