Yes, although I think a more to the point of his question is why such sites render even when served as xhtml.

Tee, the problem is quite complicated and would take quite a few words to explain fully, however what follows are the bare basics.

When viewing an xhtml page with an xhtml doctype and served as application/xhtml+xml mime type, the markup errors you described (in fact pretty much all markup errors) would give and ugly yellow 'parsing error' page in Firefox. In IE, you would see an xml tree or a download prompt, depending on your configuration. I'm not sure what Safari or Opera does (or say, Lynx), but I assume similar to Firefox.

Your clients pages are probably served as text/html mime type, meaning Firefox (Safari, Opera) become more lenient; they treat it like any other html. IE, in this case, is able to render it! (Because it just parses it as html)

By serving true, textbook correct xhtml, you automatically shut out IE and open the doors to a disabling your site to many other users as well. It's done very rarely.

See also: http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml , http://webkit.org/blog/?p=68