Dear Nicholas!

On Apr 19, 2006, at 12:06, Nicholas Orr wrote:

You open an app like firefox that does things on multiple protocols. Straight away it triggers an alert, so you add port 80 as an allowed port for this app. Then it browses something on https, so it triggers a second alert. But instead of adding another port, you decide it's a trusted app and add allow it any access it wants. The second rule negates completely the first one.

Is it possible to have an option (maybe a preference) where a new rule that overrides old rules deletes the old ones? So I don't end up with 6 different rules for one app, when only the last introduced one is useful?

That would be possible. Determining whether some rules contradict, cancel each other out or overrule each other is quite tricky, but has to be done by Little Snitch anyway.

But this logic is implemented in another part of Little Snitch - not the one that deals with the user interface for managing rules. That's why it would not be easy to get this "knowledge" to the part where Little Snitch could say "Hey - the rule you just added makes rules A, B, and C useless - do you want to delete them?" or similar.

But we will think about it - thanks for the suggestion!

Regards
Johannes Tiefenbrunner
--
Little Snitch Support