From: Ben Okopnik
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:17 AM
To: liveaboard@liveaboardonline.com
Subject: Re: [Liveaboard] Question

Hey, Steve -

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 09:10:36AM -0400, SteveW wrote:
> Well put, Ben!  I've often thought one of the fun and stimulating aspects
> of
> the list is the fact that not absolutely every thread is boating related.
> It's kinda like the bar at the yacht club. The common denominator of
> everyone there is love of boating but the range of lively conversations
> can
> encompass a wide range of intellectual topics (except politics!!!) some of

On USENET, the canonical four topics to avoid were politics, guns, rape,
and religion. No matter how they started, they always ended up in
flames... I can't claim to have always followed that successfully, but
then, I never did claim to be perfect. :)

> which have nothing to do with boating but are the result of a group of
> intellectually curious people.  And then there are the Neanderthals with
> absolutely nothing going on between their ears except their teeny little
> preoccupation with what directly interests them and don't have the
> intellectual curiosity to expand their world.
>
> If the world were left to those intellectually challenged I guess we'd
> still
> all be afraid of falling off the edge of the flat earth.

Agreed, in full. The only problem is that these tail-end Charlies insist
on hitching a ride on the trains that *we* build... oh well. It's a cost
of civilization, I suppose.

Worth noting: "intellectual", as in "intellectual curiosity", means
"associated with or requiring the use of the mind". In other words,
having a mind is a requirement. All else proceeds from there.

Ben
--
                       OKOPNIK CONSULTING
        Custom Computing Solutions For Your Business

To search the archives
http://www.mail-archive.com/liveaboard@liveaboardnow.org

The Mailman Users Guide can be found here
http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-member/index.html