thanks for everyone's feedback and expertise on this topic.  I bit the
bullet and purchased the 50A, 120/240V dockside to two 30A ship side "Y"
splitters.  According to Marinco, this will do the job should I find myself
in a slip with 50A dockside power.  The issue is that, evidently there are
TWO types of dockside 50A service!  Most newer marinas, or those with slips
for larger "yachts" have the 120/240 50A pedestals.

However, and here's the rub, the older 50A pedestals are wired for just
50A-120V service, and not the 50A-120/240V service.  And naturally, they've
got different plugs.

Since nobody except the marine industry uses these kinds of plugs, I'm back
to square one in trying to find an inexpensive "adapter" which would let me
use my 50A-120/240V plug in a 50A-120V older pedestal/service.

>From what I can tell, I should be okay except for older (or smaller)
marinas.  And the reality is that since we usually anchor out and rarely
head into a slip while cruising, we've only run across this scenario once or
twice a season - if that.  Most of the time, on those rare occasions when we
do find ourselves in a slip, it's served by a 30A pedestal so we're good.

If there's only one 30A plug then we plug into ship-side Bus-1 and panel
flip the breakers to "parallel" Bus-1 and Bus-2 and run the a/c (along with
everything else) without issues.  If there are two 30A pedestal plugs then
we use two cords, one to Bus-1 and one to Bus-2 which lets us keep the a/c
going and at the same time run the water tank heater element.  If we're
paralleling the buses with only one cord to the boat then it's and either/or
situation between the water tank element or the a/c and the a/c wins every
time and we'll use the showers at wherever we've pulled in.

Steve Weinstein
S/V CAPTIVA
1997 Hunter 376, Hull #376
Sailing out of Oyster Bay, NY

All outgoing mail protected by VIPRE A/V