On 18 July 2017 at 06:37, Elo, Matias (Nokia - FI/Espoo)
<matias....@nokia.com> wrote:

>> On 18 Jul 2017, at 6:58, Honnappa Nagarahalli
>> <honnappa.nagaraha...@linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 17 July 2017 at 04:23, Elo, Matias (Nokia - FI/Espoo)
>> <matias....@nokia.com> wrote:
>>> Does this patch fix some real problem? At leas for me it only makes the
>>> scheduler interface harder to follow by spreading the functions into
>>> multiple headers.
>>
>> I have said this again and again. odp_schedule_if.h is a scheduler
>> interface file. i.e this file is supposed to contain
>> services/functions provided by scheduler to other components in ODP
>> (similar to what has been done in odp_queue_if.h - appreciate if a
>> closer attention is paid to this). Now, this file contains functions
>> provided by packet I/O (among other things). Appreciate if you could
>> explain why this file should contain these functions?
>>
>> Also, Petri has understood what this patch does, can you check with him?
>
> These functions are used by the schedulers to interface with other ODP
> components, so the scheduler_if.h is a logical place to define them. When
> implementing a new scheduler it's helpful to see all available  functions
> from one
> place. I'm not fundamentally against this patch, but it's the task of the
> patch
> submitter to justify why a change is needed, not the other way around.
>
> Petri was originally opposed to moving these functions into xyz_internal.h
> headers,
> and only approved moving the functions into xyz_if.h files if it must be done.
>
> I'm just trying to understand why this change is necessary. I patch like this
> would be a lot easier to justify if it was sent as a part of the patch set
> which requires
> this change. Without that, a more comprehensive commit log would be helpful.

Any suggestions on the commit message?

Does adding the following sentence help?

"odp_schedule_if.h is the scheduler interface file. i.e this file is
supposed to contain services/functions provided by scheduler to other
components in ODP"

> The naming of the odp_packet_io_if.h is now a bit confusing as we already
> have the
> pktio_if_ops_t struct in odp_packet_io_internal.h, which is the actual pktio
> interface.

I definitely agree with you on this. That's how v1 of the patch was.
It is changed after Petri's suggestion to move it to
odp_packet_io_if.h.