> On 19 Jul 2017, at 6:25, Honnappa Nagarahalli
> <honnappa.nagaraha...@linaro.org> wrote:
>
> On 18 July 2017 at 06:37, Elo, Matias (Nokia - FI/Espoo)
> <matias....@nokia.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 18 Jul 2017, at 6:58, Honnappa Nagarahalli
>>> <honnappa.nagaraha...@linaro.org> wrote:

>>> I have said this again and again. odp_schedule_if.h is a scheduler
>>> interface file. i.e this file is supposed to contain
>>> services/functions provided by scheduler to other components in ODP
>>> (similar to what has been done in odp_queue_if.h - appreciate if a
>>> closer attention is paid to this). Now, this file contains functions
>>> provided by packet I/O (among other things). Appreciate if you could
>>> explain why this file should contain these functions?
>>>
>>> Also, Petri has understood what this patch does, can you check with him?
>>
>> These functions are used by the schedulers to interface with other ODP
>> components, so the scheduler_if.h is a logical place to define them. When
>> implementing a new scheduler it's helpful to see all available  functions
>> from one
>> place. I'm not fundamentally against this patch, but it's the task of the
>> patch
>> submitter to justify why a change is needed, not the other way around.
>>
>> Petri was originally opposed to moving these functions into xyz_internal.h
>> headers,
>> and only approved moving the functions into xyz_if.h files if it must be
>> done.
>>
>> I'm just trying to understand why this change is necessary. I patch like this
>> would be a lot easier to justify if it was sent as a part of the patch set
>> which requires
>> this change. Without that, a more comprehensive commit log would be helpful.
>
> Any suggestions on the commit message?
>
> Does adding the following sentence help?
>
> "odp_schedule_if.h is the scheduler interface file. i.e this file is
> supposed to contain services/functions provided by scheduler to other
> components in ODP"

Based on your older message the motivation for moving these functions is that
they are
related to the default scheduler and queue implementations. This would be a
good point to
mention.

>> The naming of the odp_packet_io_if.h is now a bit confusing as we already
>> have the
>> pktio_if_ops_t struct in odp_packet_io_internal.h, which is the actual pktio
>> interface.
>
> I definitely agree with you on this. That's how v1 of the patch was.
> It is changed after Petri's suggestion to move it to
> odp_packet_io_if.h.

In a previous email Petri suggested filename odp_queue_sched_if.h.
Extrapolating from this, odp_packet_io_if.h should be named
odp_packet_io_sched_if.h.