On 6 October 2017 at 22:26, Bill Fischofer <bill.fischo...@linaro.org>
wrote:

> PR #225 [1] is a good example of the sort of packaging/distro problem ODP
> wants to solve. DPDK currently requires special compile flags to determine
> the microarchitecture it's running on. As a result, Travis broke when they
> deployed new test machines that had a different microarchitecture. To get
> around this we need to compile DPDK to disable any such optimizations so it
> uses its least-common-denominator code. That's exactly what we don't want
> in ODP.

even more than that dpdk will not compile at all without SSE instructions.
Minimum cpu
level is core2 (-march=core2). They even do not have "generic" platform
(code without -march will not compile).
So it's why hack to make it work on any hardware. It will be great feature
that you can run application
without thinking to configure it to specific cpu, i.e. not care if it's
Ivybridge, Sandybridge,
some other x86_64 and etc.

Maxim.