On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 4:03 PM, Maxim Uvarov <maxim.uva...@linaro.org>
wrote:

> On 6 October 2017 at 22:26, Bill Fischofer <bill.fischo...@linaro.org>
> wrote:
>
>> PR #225 [1] is a good example of the sort of packaging/distro problem ODP
>> wants to solve. DPDK currently requires special compile flags to determine
>> the microarchitecture it's running on. As a result, Travis broke when they
>> deployed new test machines that had a different microarchitecture. To get
>> around this we need to compile DPDK to disable any such optimizations so
>> it
>> uses its least-common-denominator code. That's exactly what we don't want
>> in ODP.
>>

> even more than that dpdk will not compile at all without SSE instructions.
> Minimum cpu
> level is core2 (-march=core2). They even do not have "generic" platform
> (code without -march will not compile).
> So it's why hack to make it work on any hardware. It will be great feature
> that you can run application
> without thinking to configure it to specific cpu, i.e. not care if it's
> Ivybridge, Sandybridge,
> some other x86_64 and etc.

Sounds like an opportunity for differentiation even on x86. If ODP apps can
be compiled on any generic x86 and run optimally on a target x86 without
recompilation/relinking that would seem to be an improvement over what DPDK
currently offers in this area.

Since DPDK will have this same issue in the NFV space I can only assume
they're working on this problem as well, so perhaps another opportunity
area for joint collaboration.