On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:32 AM, Chris M. Thomasson
<cris...@charter.net> wrote:

> On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 11:45:51 PM UTC-7, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 3:38 AM, Chris M. Thomasson <cri...@charter.net>
>> wrote:

>> > Agreed. I personally like the ability to see the membars being separated
>> > out
>> > and
>> >
>> > standing alone. It is a habit of mine from SPARC. Now, tagged standalone
>> > membars
>> >
>> > aside for a moment, perhaps ones that can include memory locations they
>> > are
>> >
>> > interested in... ;^)

>> > A release operation should make sure all _prior_ operations are visible
>> > _before_
>> >
>> > they are visible to another thread. They have no effect on subsequent
>> > relaxed
>> >
>> > operations. For instance:
>> >

>> > // producer
>> >
>> > A = 1
>> >
>> > B = 2
>> >
>> > RELEASE
>> >
>> > C = 3
>> >
>> > D = 4
>> >

>> > // consumer
>> >
>> > while (D != 4) backoff;
>> >
>> > ACQUIRE
>> >
>> > assert(A == 1 && B == 2);
>> >

>> > Well, A and B are going be in sync with an acquire such that the assert
>> > will
>> > never
>> > fail, however C can be hoisted up and not be in sync at all! C is
>> > incoherent
>> > wrt the
>> > consumer because it was not covered by the standalone release barrier.
>>

>> In this case the RELEASE turned store to D into a release-store (a
>> subsequent store).
>> And ACQUIRE turned load of D into an acquire-load (a preceding load).
>

> D should be a pure relaxed store, and C should not be covered by the
> RELEASE. Iirc, it works this way on SPARC RMO mode. However, on x86, C will
> be covered because each store has implied release characteristics, wb memory
> aside for a moment.

C and D are completely symmetric wrt the RELEASE. Later you can
discover that there is also a thread that does:

// consumer 2
while (C != 3) backoff;
ACQUIRE
assert(A == 1 && B == 2);

And now suddenly C is release operation exactly the same way D is.

>> At lease this is how this is defined in C/C++ standards.
>> ACQUIRE/RELEASE fences do not establish any happens-before relations
>> themselves. You still need a load in one thread to observe a value
>> stored in another thread. And only that "materializes" standalone
>> fence synchronization. So a store that materializes RELEASE fence will
>> always be a subsequent store.
>

> Humm... That is too strict, and has to be there whether we use standalone
> fences or not.

No, in C/C++ memory ordering constrains tied to memory operations act
only on that memory operation.

Consider:

DATA = 1;
C.store(1, memory_order_release);
D.store(1, memory_order_relaxed);

vs:

DATA = 1;
atomic_thread_fence(memory_order_release);
C.store(1, memory_order_relaxed);
D.store(1, memory_order_relaxed);

And 2 consumers:

// consumer 1
while (C.load(memory_order_acquire) == 0) backoff();
assert(DATA == 1);

// consumer 2
while (D.load(memory_order_acquire) == 0) backoff();
assert(DATA == 1);

Both consumers are correct wrt the atomic_thread_fence version of
producer. But only the first one is correct wrt the store(1,
memory_order_release) version of producer.

And this can actually break on x86 because:

DATA = 1;
C.store(1, memory_order_release);
D.store(1, memory_order_relaxed);

can be compiled to machine code as:

D.store(1, memory_order_relaxed);
DATA = 1;
C.store(1, memory_order_release);

But:

DATA = 1;
atomic_thread_fence(memory_order_release);
C.store(1, memory_order_relaxed);
D.store(1, memory_order_relaxed);

cannot be compiled to machine code as (store to D cannot hoist above
the release fence):

D.store(1, memory_order_relaxed);
DATA = 1;
atomic_thread_fence(memory_order_release);
C.store(1, memory_order_relaxed);

> The store to D = 4 makes A and B wrt the RELEASE visible to
> the consumer threads that look for D = 4 and execute the ACQUIRE barrier
> after that fact has been observed. Afaict, C should NOT be covered.

> That sounds to coarse.

That's the semantics of stand-alone fence. Consider:

foo = 1;

... gazillion lines of code and hours later ...

atomic_thread_fence(memory_order_release);

... gazillion lines of code and hours later ...

x.store(1, relaxed);

and then in another thread:

if (x.load(acquire)) assert(foo == 1);

and now suddenly these 3 lines of code separated by gazilions lines of
code and hours of execution fold into connected synchronization
pattern.
With release-store we at least have the release and the store on the
same line _and_ we know that the release act only on this store and
not on unknown set of other stores.

> [...]
>> > when
>> > we
>> >
>> > are dealing with a consume barrier, well that is targeting the release
>> > dependency
>> >
>> > chain wrt the pointer. A consume barrier is more precisely targeted when
>> > compared
>> >
>> > to the wider spectrum of an acquire. Btw, iirc consume is emulated in
>> > Relacy
>> > as
>> >
>> > acquire right?
>> >

>> > Also, think of popping all nodes at once from an atomic LIFO:
>> >

>> > https://groups.google.com/d/topic/comp.lang.c++/V0s__czQwa0/discussion
>> >

>> > Well, how can we accomplish the following without using standalone
>> > fences?:
>> >

>> >       // try to flush all of our nodes
>> >       node* flush()
>> >       {
>> >           node* n = m_head.exchange(nullptr, mb_relaxed);
>> >
>> >           if (n)
>> >           {
>> >               mb_fence(mb_acquire);
>> >           }
>> >
>> >           return n;
>> >       }
>>
>> I can't disagree. They are definitely more flexible.
>

> Agreed.

>> > Interesting. Still makes me think of tagged membars. I will get back to
>> > you
>> > with
>> >
>> > a more detailed response.
>>

>> You mean something like:
>>
>>        // try to flush all of our nodes
>>        node* flush()
>>        {
>>            node* n = m_head.exchange(nullptr, mb_relaxed);
>>
>>            if (n)
>>            {
>>                mb_fence(mb_acquire, m_head);  // <---- HERE
>>            }
>>
>>            return n;
>>        }
>>
>> ? Interesting.
>

> Yes! The stand alone fence can say, we want to perform an acquire barrier
> wrt m_head. Something like that should be able to create more fine grain
> setups. Perhaps even something like the following pseudo-code:
> ______________________
> // setup
> int a = 0;
> int b = 0;
> int c = 0;
> signal = false;
>
> // producer
> a = 1;
> b = 2;
> RELEASE(&signal, &a, &b);
> c = 3;
> STORE_RELAXED(&signal, true);
>
> // consumers
> while (LOAD_RELAXED(&signal) != true) backoff;
> ACQUIRE(&signal, &a, &b);
> assert(a == 1 && b == 2);
>
> The consumers would always see a and b as 1 and 2, however, c was not
> covered, so it is an incoherent state wrt said consumers.
>
> The acquire would only target a and b, as would the release.
>
> Hummm... Just thinking out loud here. :^)

This would help verification tools tremendously... but unfortunately
it's not the reality we are living in :)

--

---
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lock-free/CAEeQi3vbQHyaG2O3zE7xFvGKOHL4hXQ2mxwMsvWG64P1xkrzLQ%40mail.gmail.com.