Hi Curt,

My usage for Log4cxx in the near term currently involves three platforms,
Mac OS X Server, FreeBSD, and SUSE (both open and enterprise). The idea for
my product is to refer my end-users to log4cxx for installation, rather than
including the lib and headers in my distribution. So I'll describe my
experiences installing them using the latest build instructions.

On Mac OS X Server, I noticed the instructions assume the user has 10.5 /
Leopard. I feel this assumption should be stated for the folks like me who
haven't upgraded from 10.4 / Tiger yet. Fortunately, I already know how to
build on Tiger, thanks to your help. It's my intent to simply take Log4cxx
and dump it into a Framework so the end-user of my product doesn't have to
deal with extra work or the so-called DLL-hell.

On both FreeBSD and SUSE, I started out giving the autotools instructions a
shot. But neither platforms have apt-get. Many platforms have different
package managers, so it seems deficient to use only one platform's manager
in the example. I would rather see a link to the apr and aprutil project
download pages.

(autogen.sh being referred to as autoconf.sh has already been mentioned.)

On FreeBSD, autogen.sh doesn't get very far:
libtoolize: not found
aclocal: not found
autoconf: not found
automake: not found
So I fell back to the ant build. The ant instructions no longer mention the
shared / static options for each of the libraries, but that's fine. By
default, it builds the liblog4cxx.so just fine. I think this is satisfactory
for what I need.

If I have to distribute Log4cxx with my product, however, this isn't so
great. If I do the ant build for a liblog4cxx.so that sucks its dependencies
in staticly, then ant will complain and not complete. For example,
specifying -Dapr.lib.type=static and -Dapr-util.lib.type=static will result
in an error message telling me they must both be the static, even though
that's what I asked for. But again, I can let this slide.

I honestly really haven't given RC2 on SUSE a fair shot yet, but having more
generic instructions on how to get apr and aprutil would have helped.

Finally, an install target would be immensely helpful...something that would
take the right headers and libs and dump them in the appropriate platform
location. But this is not a show-stopper.

Overall, I think the release could use some real nice-to-haves, but I don't
think there's anything I couldn't work around.

- Stephen