On Feb 26, 2008, at 1:21 PM, Andreas Fester wrote:

Hi Curt,

I dont currently have much time to work on log4cxx,
but a quick review of the .tar.gz file at least showed that the
UNIX configure script is missing. This results in a dependency
on the GNU autotools to generate the configure script and the Makefile.in's
before building, instead of the straightforward ./configure; ./make;
./make install.
For me, this is a must have to get the new version into the Debian
distribution.
Using the ant build system would add a build dependency on Java, which looks
a littlebit heavy for me.

Since you are using ubuntu to build the source package anyway, would it be
possible to create the dist tarball with the GNU autotools approach?
Or, if the "officially defined" way to create the package is the
maven/ant approach,
at least, I would like to have the necessary autotools files available
in SVN.
These are basically the Makefile.in's and a bunch of other generated
files, like
aclocal.m4, config.guess, configure etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

   Andreas

Maven is generating the user documentation, cpptasks is generating the Visual Studio and Xcode project files, so the full release packaging is going to be Java centric. However, that should not put any mandate on the user to have Java, etc, unless they want to rebuild the distribution.

I had omitted the configure and supporting files since I thought that there might be some IP issue, but I checked and apparently other than being careful what version of libtool etc is being used, it would be okay to include those with the distribution.