1) Creating static libraries makes things easier for me.  However, not a
great sign that the test is failing.
2) The mentioned path (dynamic install path on OS X) needs to be changed
all together.
3) This makes ant a poor/non option for my purposes

Sounds like ant won't work for me.  How are the release binaries built for
the various operating systems?  I can give Maverick a shot but I'm worried
all non-native (xcode, visual studio) solutions are going to lead me into a
limitation.  I also know making xcode and visual studio projects myself are
going to be far more time consuming than I have resources for at the moment.

Thanks