Guten Tag Andrew Leach,
am Montag, 12. Oktober 2015 um 18:07 schrieben Sie:

> I've tried for several hours to build the package but find it to be an
> impossible task.

It's not, I've done it in the past, but it's been a while now and I
don't remember if I used mvn as a frontend for ant or vice versa. I
think the first, because mvn should handle the dependencies...

> [WARNING] Error injecting: org.apache.maven.plugin.antrun.AntRunMojo
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tools/ant/BuildException

Looks like ANT is not properly set up in this environment.

> And Ant fails with these errors:

> C:\Users\ypx7647\Downloads\apache-log4cxx>ant -Dfind=false
> Buildfile: C:\Users\ypx7647\Downloads\apache-log4cxx\build.xml
>   [taskdef] Could not load definitions from resource
> net/sf/antcontrib/antcontri
> b.properties. It could not be found.

Looks like ant-contrib and/or cpptasks is missing. mvn should have
downloaded them.

> And the projects directory doesn't exist in the SVN checkout!

The project files are generated from the ant script by passing the
necessary options, the script can either build directly or generate
the project files. Some things in between work as well: Use the old
project files with a checkout from trunk or build your own project
files for your IDE. In the latter case you need to create a project,
add all the cpp files and copy log4cxx.hw to log4cxx.h in the same
dir. Of course you need to take care about the dependencies like APR
on your own as well, but APR should support MSVC.

I personally prefer custom IDE projects, but spent quite some days
getting all up running.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--