As far as log4j 1.2.x is concerned, I believe that JDK 1.2
compatibility was real. I can attest that for all log4j versions prior
to 1.2.9, the log4j core was verified to compile under JDK 1.2. The
same holds true for log4j 1.3beta.

At 08:26 PM 8/16/2005, you wrote:
Quoting Mark Womack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> But is there some specific reason why we want to upgrade and be compatible
> with only >= JDK 1.3?  Is there some core class we really need to use in
> order to make log4j better? If not, then I don't see a compelling reason to
> self-limit ourselves to >= JDK 1.3.  We are a logging framework, it just
> makes more sense to be as compatible as we can be, imo.  It is one of the
> pluses for log4j vs jdk 1.4 logging.

We still don't know if our current 1.2.xx releases are truly compatible with
JDK1.2 according to Curt's investigations, but we can all compile and test
under JDK1.3 quite easily.  The idea is nice, but even our promise of backward
compatiblity for the 1.2 branch up to now is turning out to be a possible
farce.  Suggested workarounds by Curt suggest is is not easy to provide this
support.  Like others have said, if people haven't upgraded the JVM from
1.2.xx, they certainly aren't of the mind to upgrade Log4j or anything else.
JDK1.5 is out and 1.6 is in development. It's time to put JDK1.2 to rest which
will allow us to make promises we can stand by!

Jake

--
Ceki Gülcü