Got it all working.  A few things:
- getting the log4j 1.2 branch to mvn install was a bit of a hassle because I needed to get nteventappender.dll into my path (from 1.2.14) - the dll wasn't getting built via mvn install - should it have been? maybe another maven target I should have looked into.

Weird, I didn't need to do that (but then I'm not on Windows).

- I had to install each of the log4j snapshots into my local repo (the mvn install error info told me to do it - it wasn't mentioned in the build instructions)

Hmm, I did update HOWTOBUILD.txt that mentioned that one needed to do a 'mvn install' in each repo. Did you do that? If you did, did it still force you to do the manual install?)

- Chainsaw wouldn't mvn install until I copied known.receivers to chainsaw/target/classes (was getting an error on the receivershelpertest)

Ahh, I understand now, but what's weird is that some timse the tests pass for me, but sometimes they don't.

You can work around this by doing:

 mvn package -Dmaven.test.skip=true

I'll look into it.

cheers,