I've logged a bug report (43874) for the SocketHubAppender enhancement and committed the createServerSocket() patch and updated the changes.xml for 1.2.16. I'm not saying that has to be the final approach, but I think there is general agreement that we can do something minimal and safe in 1.2.16 that would allow zeroconf to work in this case and so moving the discussion to a bug report and using the SVN to iterate is probably a better process.