On Aug 26, 2011, at 12:12 AM, Curt Arnold wrote:

> We've supported both building with either Ant or Maven for many years, though
> releases have been exclusively Maven for a while. The Ant build and test
> scripts were necessary to build and test on JDK 1.3 and earlier (which also
> required an earlier version of Ant, though I forget the specific version),
> but that is obviously less of a concern than it was long time ago. As far as
> I can tell, the Ant build works and isn't hurting anyone, so I'd be inclined
> to keep it around at least until there is a some discussion to remove Ant as
> a build environment.

There were also a couple of other scenarios where it was handy to have the Ant
scripts around. The ant scripts allowed you to test without rebuilding which
was handy to check that the jar that you built on the release platform worked
on other platforms. I'm not sure how easily that can be accomplished with Maven
as I think it is going to want to rebuild the jar first. Also, I recall some
JVM (JRocket, Geronimo, gcj) not running Maven, but able to build and test with
Ant.