From: nic...@msn.com
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: RE: redefining existing levels?
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 16:05:47 -0400

Thanks for the reply.  I've seen that documentation and it appears to be geared
toward defining (NEW) custom levels.  It doesn't mention anything about
redefining existing log4j2 levels.  I also tried it and so far in my testing it
doesn't seem to work.  Below is a snippet of my config.  By the way, you'll see
that I am currently trying the <CustomLevel> and <level>.  At first I had just
tried <CustomLevel> but it didn't appear to work so I thought I would put the
same elements I have in my .NET config which work.  Unfortunately it still
doesn't work.

.
.
.
<level>
   <name value="OFF"/>
   <value value="500"/>
</level>
<CustomLevels>
   <CustomLevel name="OFF" intLevel="500"/>
</CustomLevels>
.
.
.
<Loggers>
   <Logger name="HelloWorld" level="OFF">
      <AppenderRef ref="debug"/>
   </Logger>
   <Root>
   </Root>
</Loggers>

I then set my logger level to "OFF" and didn't see any debug events show up.
If I set the level to "DEBUG" they show up in the log.  The docs say that DEBUG
is set to 500, so me setting OFF to 500 and then setting the level on my logger
to OFF should have allowed the debug events to flow to the log file, correct?

Thanks,
Nick