Thank you. After experimenting a bit with CronTriggeringPolicy and initially
unable to get it to work even in the simplest of configurations, I found the
precise condition that was preventing rollover from happening: including
createOnDemand="true" in the RollingFile element.  After excluding that
attribute, the following configuration works exactly as I would expect (rolling
over at startup, at most every minute):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE Configuration>
<Configuration status="WARN">
    <Appenders>
        <RollingFile name="RollingLogFile" fileName="logs/rolling.log"
filePattern="logs/rolling-%d{yyyy-MM-dd-HH-mm}.log.gz">
            <TimeBasedTriggeringPolicy />
            <PatternLayout pattern="%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} %-5level - %msg%n" />
        </RollingFile>
    </Appenders>
    <Loggers>
        <Root level="error">
            <AppenderRef ref="RollingLogFile" />
        </Root>
    </Loggers>
</Configuration>

This may or may not be a bug, depending on the precise intention behind
createOnDemand, but it turns out that this attribute is thankfully not a
requirement for me.

Regards,

Philip