Hi Ralph,

Thank you for taking the time to investigate this, and for all of the
information.

You are correct, I forgot that I'd tested in Java 8 with the
RollingFileAppender removed, and I obtained the YourKit profiler data
without it. If you think it would be useful in any way I can also
capture new profiler snapshots without the RollingFileAppender for Java 11.

I created my patterns quite a long time ago and do not recall why I used
{36} with the %logger option. I will look into that.

I would prefer to keep logging to the Console during development.
Obviously it's my choice if I want to deal with the performance hit to
do that. It wasn't much of an issue in Java 8. For some classes I may
need to turn it off so as not to slow down testing too much, or change
the level I am logging unless I really need the trace.

Lisa