Door #2.  I'll check out XmlConfigurator.Configure.

Thanks

From: Joe [mailto:jocular...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 3:48 PM
To: Log4NET User <log4net-user@logging.apache.org>
Subject: RE: Adjust log4net logging severity

Not sure I fully understand all your requirements but:

-          If you want your users to be able to dynamically change the logging
level while the application is running, then revert to the configured values
when the application exits, you can use the techniques described here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/738126/dynamically-reconfigure-log4net

-          If you want to be able to store a user-specific configuration file
on disk, then (a) yes, somewhere application-specific under %appdata% would be
reasonable (roaming application data); (b) in this case, call
XmlConfigurator.Configure rather than using the ConfigFile attribute or
<appSettings>.