-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Fowler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>More to the point, how do I get makefiles to work on a humble Win98
box?

Short answer is that you don't. Long answer is that you use nmake.exe
(For perl modules, for anything else get an  .exe its not worth the
effort.) I can't find a link to it on the net but I have a copy here
(Microsoft has released it under the resource kit license) and if you
want I'll forward you a copy off list, its about 65KB in size.

>First background:  I'm at home (it's christmas) and I've just
installed
>Perl on my father's computer.  It's a windows box - something I've
never
>attempted to do before.  The activestate install was fine, once I
>realised that downloading the installer and running it didn't
actually
>install perl (like IE or Netscape installers) but downloading the
.mix
>file and double clicking it did.

I have an intense dislike of the new msi installer format. Its
basically a way of making the download more awkward than before with
no marked benefits. The benefits that you were supposed to get were
that you can run most of the apps from the cd saving harddrive space,
problem with this is when you *Shock Gasp Horror* use more than one of
them at a time. For internet downloads MSI is just a stupid idea.
(IMHO)

>Now, I want to be able to use CPAN.pm to install modules, so I head
off to
>ftp://ftp.easynet.net/pub/simtelnet/gnu/djgpp/ and download all the
GNU
>stuff - tar, gzip, make - (and emacs, bash and the C compiler for
good
>measure.)  But alas, when I try installing everything it works up
until
>you get to run make - and then it falls over.

>Just for the record, ppm (not unexpectedly) does this :
>
>bash-2.04$ ppm install Symbol::Approx::Sub
>Installing package 'Symbol-Approx-Sub'...
>Error installing package 'Symbol-Approx-Sub': Could not locate a PPD
file
>for package Symbol-Approx-Sub

Active State still has it as Sub::Approx. Also when using ppm you need
to use -'s rather than ::
e.g.: ppm install Symbol-Approx-Sub (Which won't work due to no
package.)

>Nothing works on this Damn Tank. [1][2]

Yeah but ain't the sliding menus *Mighty Purity*

>I want my Linux box back!

Bah welcome to hell ;)

While your using Windows have a look at the ActiveState PDK, the perl
debugger is quite nice, I'm thinking of buying it when my trial
license runs out.

If you need any help with the Winperl stuff drop me a note, I'll be
on-line roughly once a day over x-mas and I'll help if I can.

    Dean
PS Is it worth me doing a lightning talk at the next tech meeting on
Windows PPM/Module install? But don't tell Lonix :)

--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand.
   ---  Anon