On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 02:40:37AM +0000, Mark Fowler ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > Makefiles are no where near the norm on the Windows boxes where the
> > bulk of ActiveState's users currently reside, learning how makefiles
> > work (And I have to admit my experience in writing makefiles is very
> > small) is yet another hurdle for people moving from Win to Nix.
> > Although this might be a good way of making them get there feet wet ;)
> >

> More to the point, how do I get makefiles to work on a humble Win98 box?
>
> First background:  I'm at home (it's christmas) and I've just installed
> Perl on my father's computer.  It's a windows box - something I've never
> attempted to do before.  The activestate install was fine, once I
> realised that downloading the installer and running it didn't actually
> install perl (like IE or Netscape installers) but downloading the .mix
> file and double clicking it did.
>
> Now, I want to be able to use CPAN.pm to install modules, so I head off to
> ftp://ftp.easynet.net/pub/simtelnet/gnu/djgpp/ and download all the GNU
> stuff - tar, gzip, make - (and emacs, bash and the C compiler for good
> measure.)  But alas, when I try installing everything it works up until
> you get to run make - and then it falls over.
>
>   CPAN.pm: Going to build D/DA/DAVECROSS/Symbol-Approx-Sub-1.60.tar.gz
>
> Makefile:638: *** missing separator.  Stop.
>   C:\djgpp\bin\make.exe  -- NOT OK
> Running make test
>   Oops, make had returned bad status
> Running make install
>   Oops, make had returned bad status
>
> Has anyone ever actually used CPAN.pm under windows?  Ever got it to
> work?
>
> Just for the record, ppm (not unexpectedly) does this :
>
> bash-2.04$ ppm install Symbol::Approx::Sub
> Installing package 'Symbol-Approx-Sub'...
> Error installing package 'Symbol-Approx-Sub': Could not locate a PPD file
> for package Symbol-Approx-Sub

Just for the record, there _is_ a PPD for an old version of Sub::Approx
included with the new CD of ActivePerl. It's version 1.03, which is the
version which used GlobWalker (just before I discovered Devel::Sybdump)
and was on CPAN for about three days.

Dave...

--
http://www.dave.org.uk | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | [EMAIL PROTECTED]