On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Simon Wistow wrote:

> Dave Cross wrote:
>
> > The language spoken by the droogs in 'A Clockwork Orange'.
>
> Isn't it a pidgin mix of Russian and English?

It is a mix of schoolboy slang (from soem school that Burgess went to, cos
I sure didn't speak like that at school, probably one of those public
shcools or summit), ryhming slang (not cockney), misc slang from all over
the place, malay & malay slang, olde english and pidgin russian.

see (the horribly laid out and currently being
redesigned) http://droogs.org/lit/ for some interesting links on ACO,
Nadsat and Artificial languages.

A.
--
<A HREF = "http://termisoc.org/~betty"> Betty @ termisoc.org </A>
"As a youngster Fred fought sea battles on the village pond using a