At 17:42 19/01/01, you wrote:
>Piers Cawley wrote:
> > Greg Cope <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > Agreed - why work in London - what about telecommuters ?
> > >
> > > i.e I want to stay communtin to my desk - all 3 meters of it (the
> > > commute - I live in a small flat)
> >
> > I'm *really* unsure about telecommuting. Seems to me that the way to
> > really build a team (especially when doing serious development) is to
> > have people in the same room; that way you get people who know the
> > answers immediately on tap and able to overhear other discussions and
> > contribute as appropriate. Whilst I love the journey to work in the
> > home office I don't like the rest of the office conditions. Having
> > people there is important.
>
>I can understand the idea of building a team, but I think I am more
>productive here, than in an office where I am nearly constantly
>interupted.  Also not being able to ask a question of the person next
>door, means I go look for the answer - and the person next door can get
>on with it.
>
>MySQL AB is a example of a company that is developeing a "product" in a
>virtual sense - why not try and develope a virtual company ?

Sounds like a great idea.  Personally, as someone with M.S. (the MonSter),
I need to be able to nap as and when I need to and work as and when I am
able to.  Working from home allows me to do this...

> > And I like central London because (whatever else is wrong with it)
> > it's relatively easy for everyone to get to by train no matter where
> > they live. Trekking out to (for example) Guildford wouldn't be good
> > for me.
>
>But is treking into <insert> that good to working from home ?  ADSL is
>cheap and working from home can be supprisingly productive.

I can do 200% as much work at home because I can work when and as I feel
able to and so work when I am my most productive.