On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, you wrote:

> Heh. But if we're good at our job we can pull them through that.

uhh .. I have on occasion worked with clients that I reckon are the
exception to that rule ...  some of them find lightswitches a technically
challenging problem.

I reckon the XP thing will work for clueful clients (or non clueful
clients who can be lent a clue for a short while) however I reckon you
need another layer of abstraction for totally clueless clients .. there
is a whole class of clients so clueless (' I just want one of those
dot-com things') that you probably need another level of handholding ...
they discuss the artistic and 'feelgood' bits of the project in as
precise terms as they can and then direct the XP team as the customers
representative.

A bit like employing an architect to design your new offices ... you
express your ideas, he produces a cardboard model,  you say 'ooh very nice
make it so' and the architect liases with all the contractors .. next
time you see the thing is when they hand over the keys.

I know this goes against the XP idea but I really do think some clients
will not have anywhere near enough clue to work that way .. or even the
time or inclination to do it.  I can see a role of 'architect' being
needed on occasion.

--
Robin Szemeti

The box said "requires windows 95 or better"
So I installed Linux!