> > Is there any benchmarking available of salary bands for
> > differing skills,
> > i.e. are perl guys much more than ASP guys who can also do
> > the other bits ?
> > Any other arguments I should be making !

>Yeah, Perl people cost more than ASP people and they're frickin
>impossible to find, and vary wildly in quality. This is IMHO Perl's
>single greatest barrier to acceptance, and in business terms it's an
>entirely valid point.

>From my experience, in the current contracting market ASP coders are more
expensive then Perl developers (by around 10-15%). The variation in quality
of output would hold for both sides. IMHO Perl developers tend to know more
about good coding practices than VB/ASP coders (whether they practice them
is another matter) since VB isn't exactly a difficult language and pretty
much anyone can pick it up quickly. This could be a factor with long term
development/maintenance if you have staff turnover.

Ian