On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Greg McCarroll wrote:

> * Dave Cross ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > My opinion is that the only way this project could work is if the scripts
> > worked on _any_ web server on _any_ platform with _no_ extra modules. Matt
> > Wright can achieve that and we're all much cleverer than he is, so we
> > should be able to do it too.
> >

> i originally shared your viewpoint on this, but what changed my
> mind is the following scenario,
>
>       some random perl monger, lets call them dave for ease has
>       a really cool forums script. unfortunatly dave's script
>       uses TT and dave hasn't time to replace the TT elements.
>
> do you exclude this script from the archive on the basis that it
> uses TT?
>
> this question defines the archive of scripts a little. is the
> collection of scripts specifically aimed at the lowest commond
> denominator and tackling the MW problem directly, or is that
> just its core mission, and other scripts are welcome.

I don't think we actually need to lower to teh lowest common denominator -
by applying the ROPE idea it should be possible to provide some easy
bundles with their own namespace that the user can just unzip and ftp to
their own local_modules/rope.

If you provide scripts that work with perl5.x base but also provide
scripts that use rope::lite, or rope::intermediate bundles the user will
still be interested in using the bundle and we can encourage them to use
modules and set them on the path to rightesusness.

I think something like this would be the ultimate test of the ROPE
concept.

A.

--
<A HREF = "http://termisoc.org/~betty"> Betty @ termisoc.org </A>
"As a youngster Fred fought sea battles on the village pond using a