> Yes, but *is a security hole, and not a small one*, usually.

Yes, if you put the wrong things in there, like locations of files. I guess
maybe Matt does this. On the other hand, other things can go in harmlessly,
and should, such as the response email address for formmail.

As for the security issue, there's no reason why we can't place extra layers
of checking in for these values (although of course that may not close all
holes).

I suppose in extreme cases where the original is a security nightmare, the
backward compatability mode should be off by default rather than on by
default - but if we don't acheive easy compatability no-one will use the
replacements.