At 10:54 14/03/01 +0000, you wrote:
>Mark Fowler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> > <Finding out where perl is>

>Ooh, 'configure.cgi'.
>
>If only we could assume that they had a working perl on the box that
>they were installing from then we could write a cunning installer
>script which uploaded configure.cgi to the ISP and interrogated it via
>a LWP::... client to get a bunch of configuration stuff, which could
>then be used to generate a list of scripts that could run on the
>user's ISP, and which could then go on and upload the scripts.

Could we not produce something like configure.bat which is a hybrid shell
script/batch file that starts the configuration process by finding perl and
then launches perl to find out installed libraries.

Obviously it would produce lots of 'Command not found' messages etc but it
could quickly find perl (or not) and then move into a cleaner environment.

Matt