On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Mark Fowler wrote:

> > (What do you mean with "not-inplace cgi"?)
>
> Some servers (like my own) are configured to allow you to run perl scripts
> anywhere.

aka cgi-by-suffix, you add an apache handler which recognises all
files with a certain extension (typically .cgi or .pl ) as cgi scripts,
and executes them...

> Some servers (especially in the paranoid ISP land) are configured to have
> a /cgi-bin/ where you have to put files in that will be 'executed'.

In my experience, virtually *all* isps/hosting providers use the
'separate cgi-bin directory' configuration. either for the security
reasons outlined by evil dave, or because they *don't know* about
cgi-by-suffix.

---
jon eyre ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (http://simpson.dyndns.org/~jon/)
the slack which can be described is not the true slack