On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 11:58:00AM +0100, Robin Szemeti wrote:
> umm ... since Linux accounts (at a guess) for 75% of Perl usauge, thats
> quite an 'afterthought'. My guess is they see ActiveState Perl as taking
> over the world and these tools are simply there to help get it to that
> position.

And what percentage of that 75% are likely to buy an ide? Windows is a
better target market for things like this, the need is there but the
competition is not. Activestate is in a position of power in the Windows
world, they have the Windows Perl market pretty much wrapped up and by the
time someone else really tries to get into the race they'll find its
already over. I know that their are alternatives like the Indigo and
Siemens distros but neither are really commercial.

Also in your guess at 75% you've hit a very important point. 25% of the
Windows market is a lot bigger than 75% of the Linux market, ActiveState is
a business and at the end of the day they have a much bigger (I assume ;))
market in the hordes of IDEless Windows users. And if we can sway some of
the other 75% of Windows users across to the dark side by getting Perl
associated with household products like Visual Studio then the more the
merrier ;)

> you can write code in emacs?

Apparently if you install enough major modes you can even edit text in
it... ;)

> umm .. sorta. Some IDE's are well liked, Kdevelop for C++ comes to mind,
> (which uses gcc ... )

I've been using this for C coding recently and its not too bad. It has a
couple of nice tricks though like clicking on the compile errors and being
taken to the line. Kdevelop follows the very good idea of not trying to
replace the compiler. DDD is another app that does this well but its just
another example that GUI's are not as popular as the command lines tools.
Yet.

        Dean
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand
   --- Anon