Alessandro Selli wrote:

> I just think that it would take a bare minute telling people
> that:
>
> 1) there are more attributes than ls or stat show you;
> 2) they can be seen with lsattr and set/uset with chattr;
> 3) the really useful and fully implemented/supported ones are the
> immutable and append-only attribs;
> 4) for a full list of supported attributes see man chattr(1).

I wouldn't bother putting file attributes in LPIC-1 because they're not used a
lot, because the set of file attributes that do something actually useful and
are in fact implemented is pretty small, and because it depends on the file
system being used whether they're supported at all, and on the tools being
used whether they get copied along/archived/… with the rest of the file
they're attached to. IMHO they're generally more trouble than they're worth.

File attributes are basically a niche thing, in the same way that serial ports
are a niche thing – sometimes indispensable, but something a vast majority of
people can happily live without.

We might put them (back) in LPIC-2 at some point, but as far as LPIC-1 is
concerned we can very probably put the space to better use.

>   I understand that wireless could easily get out of hand, because there
> is more to keep in mind than plain ethernet configuration (ESS versus
> IBSS, channels, signal strength, country regulations, authentication,
> ...), but I do see more and more people not only using some WiFi-ready
> Linux apparatus (even Arduino now has it), but they are starting to take
> it for granted.  I think we ought to consider it worthy of coverage, no
> matter how stripped-down.

If we wanted to do this topic right it ought to get its own objective and its
own weight. Sticking it into 205.1, »basic networking configuration«, which at
weight 3 covers a massive swathe of material makes it into one of those open-
ended issues where you spend half a day in class to cover (probably) one
question's worth of exam time. (The same problem applies to the mention of
IPv6 in the same objective.) I suppose it is too late now to fix this.

Anselm

Disclaimer: This is my own personal opinion, not that of my employer. I'm
  not getting paid enough to have opinions on my employer's behalf.
--
Anselm Lingnau ... Linup Front GmbH ... Linux-, Open-Source- & Netz-Schulungen
anselm.ling...@linupfront.de, +49(0)6151-9067-103, Fax -299, www.linupfront.de