Martin Møller Skarbiniks Pedersen wrote:

> 211.2 procmail
>   Does anyone use procmail anymore ? I used it myself in the 90's.
>   But I want to torture my students teaching than procmail rules in details.

I agree that, as with most of the »bottomless pit« type tools that show up on
the LPI exams, the scope of coverage should be better defined.

On the other hand, there are various ways of filtering e-mail and Procmail is
one of the better-known ones, is straightforward to integrate into most e-mail
setups either on a per-user or system-wide basis, and builds on existing
knowledge such as regular expressions. While we can quibble for a very long
time about whether Procmail's configuration syntax is particularly clever or
intuitive, Procmail does serve as an introduction to the problems of mail
filtering as well as a great illustration of how to make the »Unix toolchest«
work on one's behalf. Think of it as a character-building exercise ;^)

The main problem with Procmail is that, from a practical POV, the recommende
mail setup we teach these days is Postfix-into-Dovecot-via-LMTP, with users
picking up their mail through IMAP, and Procmail doesn't fit into that setup
very well. The logical thing to replace it with would be SIEVE, but I'm not
sure that we want to open that can of worms.

> 207.3 Securing a DNS Server
>   I think DNSSEC are too advanced topic here.

I don't think it is entirely out of place for an LPIC-2 candidate to know what
problems DNSSEC is supposed to solve, and how this is achieved. As far as the
details of setting up a DNSSEC zone is concerned, I agree that this is
probably beyond LPIC-2 – and IIRC it isn't currently part of the exam in the
first place.

Having said that, with important things like DANE on the horizon, DNSSEC will
probably become more important in the future and should eventually find a
place somewhere in the LPI universe, but whether LPI-202 is that place is
probably doubtful.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau ... Linup Front GmbH ... Linux-, Open-Source- & Netz-Schulungen
anselm.ling...@linupfront.de, +49(0)6151-9067-103, Fax -299, www.linupfront.de