Issue #885 has been reported by Soisik Froger.

Bug #885: Broken repositories in pom.xml : shut down/changed behaviour
http://tools.lsc-project.org/issues/885

Author: Soisik Froger
Assigned to:
Category:
Target version: 2.2
Problem in version: 2.1.3

Hi,

Some repositories referenced in the repositories and pluginsRepositories
sections of the pom.xml are no longer functional.

Environment : Apache Maven 3.0.2 & Java 1.6

* https://nexus.codehaus.org/content/repositories/codehaus-snapshots/
- Problem :
This repository does not exist anymore, See
https://support.mulesoft.com/s/article/Codehaus-org-Maven-repositories-shutdown

- Solution :
As advised in above link, any references to this repositories should be removed
of pom.xml.

* http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2
- Problem :
The repository is still there, but all requests are redirected to
http://maven.ibiblio.org/maven2/. Our version of maven-compiler-plugin (2.3.2)
does not seem to handle redirections properly : Instead it stores the 301 http
result in the repository in place of pom & jar files, resulting in build
failure when he tries to read them :

Downloading:
http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2/org/apache/directory/api/api-all/1.0.0-M22/api-all-1.0.0-M22.pom
[WARNING] Checksum validation failed, expected <html> but is
b113767b47336dcc165c5dd2222b5df4cb86b7ce for
http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2/org/apache/directory/api/api-all/1.0.0-M22/api-all-1.0.0-M22.pom
[...]
[ERROR] error: error reading
/home/sfroger/.m2/repository/org/slf4j/slf4j-api/1.6.0/slf4j-api-1.6.0.jar;
error in opening zip file

Note :
- All dependencies downloaded that way will need to be purged before attempting
a new mvn build after removing the offending repository.
- System that already have all dependencies in local mvn repository may not
encounter this issue.

Solution :
I'm not clear on why lsc team project choose to use this mirror as a repository
in the first place; My guess is the purpose was to improve building
performances. Feel free to provide information on that matter.

According to https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-mirror-settings.html,
the only official maven mirror is the European central :
    <mirror>
      <id>UK</id>
      <name>UK Central</name>
      <url>http://uk.maven.org/maven2</url>
      <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf>
    </mirror>

Other mirrors (including our http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2/)
referenced in http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/.meta/repository-metadata.xml
are not supported by maven ("These mirrors may not have the same contents and
we don't support them in any way.")

So :
- Since I'm in europe, setting the mirror UK central in my settings.xml seems
to improve build performances noticeably when dependencies are downloaded.
- I've removed the mirror http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2 from
pom.xml with no issue (build complete fine), since I see no reason to keep it.

Note : Upgrading the maven-compiler-plugin will be done in another issue.

Since project cannot currently build without this fix, we should patch 2.1.4
and 2.2.0 releases to come.

--
You have received this notification because you have either subscribed to it,
or are involved in it.