Read it through (fairly slowly even ;-) and seems Les is for simply always
including LAN in the flood reduction topology. I would concur with that.
figuring whether a LAN is transit is basically calculation whether it's a
minimal cut. solving that is polynomial of course. When we have multiple
LANs to decide what is the maximum subset of LANs that can be cut without
paritioning the graph (i.e. how many LANs can we omit while still having
the graph connected) smells to me NP complet'ish but I don't think I ever
dealt with the problem. At worst it's combination of LANs * polynomial
computaton so about  sum_1_k (n over k) * polynomial  which looks tad chewy
to me ... then, LAN floods efficiently in terms of fanout compared to p2p
replication in IGPs so there's this unknown optimization constant that
affects overall solution ...

Obvioulsy, someone could implement a very clever algorithm how to avoid
LANs or account for their efficiency and so on so IMO the draft doesn't
even need to say anything normative if  no algorithm is given as intended
AFAIR

--- tony