From: Tony Li <tony1ath...@gmail.com> On Behalf Of tony...@tony.li
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2019 8:20 AM
To: Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net>
Cc: Tony Przygienda <tonysi...@gmail.com>; Acee Lindem (acee) <a...@cisco.com>;
Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) <ginsb...@cisco.com>; lsr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Open issues with Dynamic Flooding: Including LANs in the
Flooding Topology

Hi Robert,

> The fact that we use them in a point-to-point fashion today is somewhat
> orthogonal, as from
> the routing protocol layer, we cannot tell whether an interface is
> point-to-point or not, and we
> must be explicitly configured to be in point-to-point mode.

Why we cannot tell ? That to me is a protocol specification bug.

Well between any two Ethernet ports, there can be an arbitrary amount of layer
1 and layer 2 stuff.  Bridges, hubs, repeaters, pseudo-wires, tunnels, etc.
All of it is transparent to IS-IS PDUs and OSPF packets, so it’s not
detectable.  All it takes is one L2 switch in the path with a router plugged
into it but powered off.

Sorry if I was not very clear - My question was driven by the idea to actually
redefine what LAN is for the purpose of LSR and specifically this discussion
and perhaps even drop completely support of dynamic flooding when LAN is
detected and present - based on a new definition of LANs.

It should not matter if interface is multi access or not.

Proposal:

To consider LAN an interface on which you receive Hellos from more then one IGP
peer.

Well, that would create a significant stability problem.  I presume that you
would want the interface to default to point-to-point (PtP) mode.  Let’s
suppose that systems A and B form an adjacency in this way.  Now, system C
comes up.  If it sees two PtP IIH’s, then it knows to send a LAN IIH.  However,
if it doesn’t wait long enough, it too sends a PtP IIH.  I don’t know of a
single implementation that’s ready for that.  But let’s suppose that we hack to
fix this.  Once A and B see C’s IIH, then they have to swap over to using a LAN
IIH.  We haven’t done any DIS election, so we effectively have no adjacency to
advertise and have to start DIS election from scratch.

It could be done, but it’s likely to cause adjacencies to bounce.  It’s messy.
There’s no easy way to downgrade back to PtP without losing adjacencies again.

In any case, this is wholly orthogonal to dynamic flooding.  While it might
address the issue of unintentional LANs, it does nothing to change the fact
that there are intentional LANs and that we need to be able to signal them.

Tony