Jakob,

On 04/04/2019 10:55 , Jakob Heitz (jheitz) wrote:
How is it impossible that A may flood to B, but B does not flood to A ?

every node in the area must be able to flood the data and they must reach all other nodes.

Adjacency bringup involves database exchange which is bidirectional, so is the flooding. Flooding in one direction often serves as an ACK from the other direction.

How does it follow that if A floods to B, then B must also flood to A ?

does not have to be, but the LS protocols have been designed for bidirectional flooding. Making this unidirectional would require significant changes to the flooding procedures. Not something we want to go into.

Uni-directional flooding allows a more efficient flooding topology to be built.
Suppose you had to build a flooding topology with the rule: 2 incoming and 2
outgoing floods.

why 2 incoming and 2 outgoing? We want each node to do minimal flooding, which is 2 connections to flooding topology, not 4.

regards,
Peter

With bidirectional flooding, the incoming are the same as the outgoing,
so any incoming flood can only be propagated on one interface.
With uni-directional, any incoming can go out two interfaces.
To achieve 2 out with bidirectional, you need 3 in, 3 out, because the ins and
outs are the same.

Regards,
Jakob.