From: Peter Psenak [mailto:ppse...@cisco.com]
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2020 4:11 PM
To: Dongjie (Jimmy) <jie.d...@huawei.com>; xie...@chinatelecom.cn; lsr
<lsr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Using IS-IS Multi-Topology (MT) for Segment Routing based
Virtual Transport Network

Hi Dongjie,

On 27/03/2020 07:56, Dongjie (Jimmy) wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> You missed some of my comments in previous mail, could you also reply to this?
>
>> Although the IANA registry shows that all the TE attributes could be used in
>> TLV 222/223, this was not specified in RFC 5120 (or other RFCs I'm aware
>> of), could you help to provide the reference to such IANA specification? In
>> addition, it seems not all of the TE attributes are suitable to be carried
>> at per-topology level. Thus the IANA registry may need to be updated.

my reading of RFC 5120 and the existing IANA registry is that it is legal to
advertise TE attributes in MT TLVs:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/isis-tlv-codepoints/isis-tlv-codepoints.xhtml#isis-tlv-codepoints-22-23-25-141-222-223

It says "y" for all TE attributes. What else do you need?

> And please see further replies inline with [Jie]:

my reading is different.

>> Although the IANA registry shows that all the TE attributes could be used in
>> TLV 222/223, this was not specified in RFC 5120 (or other RFCs I'm aware
>> of), could you help to provide the reference to such IANA specification? In
>> addition, it seems not all of the TE attributes are suitable to be carried
>> at per-topology level. Thus the IANA registry may need to be updated.
>
> [Jie] Maybe you could provide some information about the history of this IANA
> registry? It assumes all the TE attributes can be applied to both TLV 22 and
> TLV 222, which may not always be the case.

registry clearly tells.

>>> particular member link of L2 bundle, which was not defined in IS-IS
>>> L2 Bundle (RFC 8668).
>>>
>>> carrying MT-ID in the L2 Bundle TLV is conceptually wrong.
>>>
>>> It is the parent L3 link which has the association with the
>>> particular topology ID, you can not change the topology per L2 link member.
>>>
>>> You are trying to overload the MT-ID with the VTN semantics, but you
>>> can not do it here. If you need a VTN ID for the L2 member link,
>>> which I'm not sure why, you need to define a a new attribute and not mix it
>>> with MT-ID.
>>
>> In this document we try to reuse the existing IDs and TLVs to fulfil the
>> functionality required. Since several existing TLVs defined for L3 link have
>> been introduced for the L2 bundle member, we are considering the possibility
>> of also carrying MT-ID as another attribute of the member link. Could you
>> elaborate why it cannot be reused? Of course defining a new VTN-ID is
>> another option. We are open to discussion about this.
>
> the reason is simple - the L3 link is already associated with the MT-ID.
> You can not change the MT-ID of the underlying L2 link.
>
> [Jie] In this case, the L3 link is associated with the union of the MT-IDs
> associated with its L2 member links.
>
> For example, if a L3 link has three L2 member links, which are associated
> with MT-x, MT-y and MT-z respectively, then the L3 link is associated with
> MT-x, MT-y and MT-z.

I'm going to repeat myself here. You are misusing the MT-ID for something you
have defined. I don't think it is correct. L2  bundle link is NOT a topological
entity in ISIS, only the L3 link is. Associating L2 bundle link with a MT is
conceptually wrong.

If you wanted different bundle members to be part of different topologies the
obvious solution would be to enable L3 directly on the individual links rather
than combine them into one L3 Bundle interface.

[Jie2] I agree the usage of MT-ID is extended in this case. But if an L3 parent
link participates in multiple topologies, this could help to further identify
the member link which is only used for traffic belonging to a specific
topology. A similar attribute is the admin-group.

[Jie2] Enabling L3 on each individual link is another option, while it
introduces the overhead which the L2 bundle mechanism tries to avoid.

[Jie2] BTW, in the IANA section of the L2 bundle RFC 8668, it clearly specifies
which existing sub-TLVs are allowed in the newly defined TLV 25, and in which
existing TLVs the new sub-TLVs can be carried. Something similar documented in
an RFC for TLV 222 would be good enough to solve my question in the beginning
of this mail.

Best regards,
Jie

thanks,