Tony –

Inline.

From: Tony Li <tony1ath...@gmail.com> On Behalf Of tony...@tony.li
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2020 2:37 PM
To: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) <ginsb...@cisco.com>
Cc: Hannes Gredler <han...@gredler.at>;
draft-li-lsr-isis-area-proxy.auth...@ietf.org; lsr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Comments on Requested Codepoints for
draft-li-lsr-isis-area-proxy

Hi Les,

On Jun 29, 2020, at 2:13 PM, Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)
<ginsb...@cisco.com<mailto:ginsb...@cisco.com>> wrote:

Tony –

OLD:
1)Area Proxy Router Capability - sub-TLV of Router Capability TLV

2)Inside Node TLV - Top level TLV

3)Area Proxy TLV - Top Level TLV with optional sub-TLVs:
   Sub-TLV Area Proxy System ID
   Sub-TLV Area Segment SID

4)Area Segment SID - Top Level TLV

NEW: (Please check my interpretation)

1)Area Proxy Router Capability - sub-TLV of Router Capability TLV

2)Area Proxy TLV - Top Level TLV with optional sub-TLVs:
   Sub-TLV Area Proxy System ID
   Sub-TLV Area Segment SID
   Sub-TLV Inside Node ???

3)Area Segment SID - Top Level TLV

Am I correct so far??

Yes, exactly.  Inside node would be a sub-TLV or a flag, TBD.

If so, a couple more comments/suggestions:

a)Could the Area Proxy TLV become a bit more generic and allow advertisement of
the capability (implied by presence of the TLV)?
If  so, the Router Capability sub-TLV could go away.

Speaking just for myself, ok, that seems reasonable and doable.

b)If the Area Segment SID is (as you suggest) a generic thing not specific to
Area Proxy, then I would point you to
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8667.html#section-2.4.1

?  Your pointer is to the flags field of the SID/Label Binding TLV.

[Les:] Yes – as the suggestion would be to add another flag definition.

This allows SIDs to be advertised in the SID Binding TLV for a special purpose
(see the Mirror SID). One could imagine another flag bit to indicate this is an
Area SID.

You’re suggesting a bit in the flags, the range would be unused, and a prefix
length of 0? Then the actual SID would be in the SID/Label sub-TLV?

[Les:]Range could be specified as ignored in this case. Prefix length would be
0.
The SID would be – as you say – advertised in the SID/Label sub-TLV – as with
all other SIDs.

I think this would need to be vetted with SR  folks

That will happen, regardless of how we proceed.

– but I would like to avoid advertising a SID in a way different from all other
SIDs i.e., SIDs currently are always a sub-TLV of some top level TLV – whether
it be Prefix Reachability (Prefix-SID), IS Neighbor (Adjacency SID), or Binding
SID (Mirror SID).

We were trying to extend the current design consistently with existing SIDs.
As the Prefix SID and Adjacency SID were top level, it made sense to continue
that approach.  The approach of the Binding SID TLV would seem to mix all
semantics into one encoding and seems inconsistent and complicated with respect
to the other SIDs.  If this was the intent, shouldn’t prefix and adjacency SIDs
be encoded in this TLV as well?
[Les:] Prefix/adjacency SIDs are sub-TLVs of TLVs 135 and 22 respectively.

There’s only three available bits (plus one octet) here.  Aren’t we concerned
about running out of bits if we go this direction?
[Les:] I am not. It is a question of whether SR sees this as a useful type of
SID. If so, it merits a bit.

   Les

Tony