Hi, Tony:

Aijun Wang
China Telecom

> On May 22, 2021, at 06:40, Tony Li <tony...@tony.li> wrote:
>

> Hi Aijun,

>>> Please say more.  Claims without rationale are not reasoning.
>> [WAJ]  The introduction part talks mainly how to divert the elephant traffic
>> away from the low bandwidth link. This can be achieved via the introduction
>> of additional constraints information for Flex-ALGO
>

> Which is exactly what we’ve done: added bandwidth constraints.

[WAJ] Yes, I agree with this.

>> [WAJ] The main reason is that bandwidth metric is not cumulative.
>

> ??? What are you seeing that implies that?  That is not my understanding at
> all.

[WAJ] The operator must plan carefully for the metric assignment accordingly to
their specific topology to let the traffic pass the necessary high bandwidth
path as done in the following example.

>>> The paragraph immediately above explains exactly that. B->C has two
>>> parallel 10Gbps links, so it should be considered to be 20Gbps.

>>> B-C-F-D is 20Gbps. B-E-D is 10Gbps.
>>
>> [WAJ] OK, let’s add two nodes between node B and C, say they are node M and
>> N. They have also two parallel links to B and C respectively. The two
>> possible path from B to D will be:
>> Path 1: B-M-N-C-F-D
>> Path 2: B-E-D
>> If the “reference bandwidth” is 100G, then metric for each link in
>> B-M-N-C-F-D will be 5, the cumulative metric from B-D for Path 1 “B—N-C-F-D”
>> will be 25, right?
>> The metric for each link in B-E-D will be 10, the cumulative metric from B-D
>> for Path 2 will be 20, right?
>> How can you prefer to the high bandwidth path?
>

> Override the metric on B-E-D to be even higher.

[WAJ] If such work must be done manually, it certainly weaken the necessary of
the automatic metric calculations based on link bandwidth, also the
introduction of bandwidth metric.

> The point of the bandwidth metric (at least in this incarnation) is not to
> make hop count irrelevant. It is to set the metrics relative to the bandwidth
> so that traffic skews towards higher bandwidths.

[WAJ] This can be done via the “bandwidth constraints sub TLV” that is
introduced in this document.

> Hops are still relevant. An operator can adjust the reference bandwidth and
> add manual metrics to achieve different effects, depending on their precise
> needs.
[WAJ] Is it more simple and easy to get determined results via setting the link
metric based on the additive information?