Hello Authors/All,

In general, I support the adoption of this document. There is, however, one
specific point which is not clear to me (8) below that I would appreciate some
clarity on before adoption.

Some questions/comments/suggestions:

  1.  Why is the Generic Metric type in ISIS limited to 3 byte size? OSPF
allows 4 byte size and so why not the same for ISIS? Elsewhere in the document,
I do see MAX METRIC being referred to as 4,261,412,864.
  2.  Would be good to cover the max-metric considerations for the Generic
Metric. Similar to
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-lsr-flex-algo-15#section-15.3
  3.  Since the draft is covering FlexAlgo, I would have expected that Generic
Metric is carried only in the ASLA and this document specifies usage only for
the FA application. Later this can be also used/extended for other applications
but still within ASLA. Keeping an option of advertising both outside and within
the ASLA is problematic – we will need precedence rules and such. I prefer we
avoid this complication.
  4.  For the newly proposed FAD b/w constraints, I would suggest the following
names for the constraint sub-TLVs where the b/w value signalled by all is
compared with the Max Link B/w attribute. This is just to make the meaning, at
least IMHO, more clear.
     *   Exclude Higher Bandwidth Links
     *   Exclude Lower Bandwidth Links
     *   Include-Only Higher Bandwidth Links
     *   Include-Only Lower Bandwidth Links
  5.  Similar naming for the FAD delay constraints as well would help. Though I
can only think of the use of “exclude” for links above a certain delay
threshold to be more practical but perhaps others might eventually be required
as well?
  6.  For the Max B/w Link attribute and its comparison with the FAD b/w
constraints, I see the reference to ASLA. While in OSPF max-bandwidth is not
allowed in ASLA - https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8920#section-7, in
case of ISIS also, it is not really appropriate for use within ASLA -
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8919#section-4.2.1?
  7.  Document should cover the FAPM aspects for the Generic Metric and
especially the Bandwidth metric.
  8.  The document introduces a new Generic Metric type called Bandwidth
metric. I’ve been trying to follow some of the discussion related to this on
the mailing list – about it being cumulative or not. I am perhaps somewhat
confused by those discussions. The OSPF/ISIS SPT computation has always worked
with cumulative link (and prefix) metrics. If the computation for the Generic
Metric of this new type b/w is not going to be cumulative (I thought it is –
but not very clear anymore), then the document needs to describe the
computation algorithm. Is it then hop count based? Perhaps I am missing
something very basic here and if so, please point me to the text in the draft.

Thanks,
Ketan