Hi Les,

Please see below.

It is not just that a new application wants to use the same link attribute
> value that allows you to use the "all applications" encoding. It is also
> necessary for the set of links used by the new application to be identical
> to the set of links used by the existing applications.

Not really. You can use subset of links when you apply affinity bits to it.

Likewise as Peter confirmed you also need to use affinities to select
subset of links carrying given flex-algo metric to be used only by some
selective flex-algo topologies.

" The solution described in this document is backward compatible with
>    [RFC8919] and [RFC8920]."
>
> This is FALSE.

Well I am not sure what Shraddha wanted to express by this sentence or what
"backwards" means here. But if you delete "backwards" the rest of the
sentence seems just fine.

Let's observe that even if you define a new application and define new bit
participating nodes need to support it. That means that you must keep
upgrading your OS on all participating nodes each time new new bit is
invented.

Don't you think this is pretty bad ?

How often do you think operators upgrade their core routers ?

With A-bit and affinities at least your OS is ready to support any
application based on already defined metrics without keep inventing new
bits.

Of course if we assume velocity of inventing new applications is near zero
then this is not a problem. But then the usefulness of ASLA also can be
challenged.

Thx,
R.