Hi Les,

*The point being is that “A-bit” is no different than introducing any other
new application bit. Until all routers in the network understand it you
cannot safely use it.*

That is true.

But the entire point of A-bit is that you are doing this exercise to make
sure your routers understand A-bit only one time.

Otherwise you need to do it each time you invent a new bit.

Thx,
R.